The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King
During November we’ll be reading The Eyes of the Dragon as the next book in the Dark Tower reading project. This book is quite different than King’s other books, and is definitely connected to the Dark Tower series. Here are the discussion questions for Eyes of the Dragon:
- Why does Flagg want to destroy/ruin Delain? “He wanted what evil men always want; to have power and use that power to make mischief. Being a King did not interest him because the heads of Kings all too often found their way to spikes on castle walls when things went wrong. But the advisors to Kings…the spinners in the shadows…such people usually melted away like evening shadows at dawning as soon as the headsman’s axe started to fall. Flagg as a sickness, a fever looking for a cool brow to heat hup. He hooded his actions just as he hooded his face. And when the great trouble came–as it always did after a span of years–Flagg always disappeared like shadows at dawn. Later, when the carnage was over and the fever had passed, when the rebuilding was complete and there was again something worth destroying, Flagg would appear once more.” The Road to the Dark Tower, Bev Vincent
- Why doesn’t Thomas tell anyone he saw Flagg in Roland’s (King Roland, not our gunslinger Roland) room? Flagg’s influence and manipulation, his jealousy over Peter, selfishness…
- Why does Flagg want Peter out of the way? Peter is intelligent and not easily manipulated, and he will be a good king, a fair king.
- Why does Flag want to kill Sasha? She has too much influence over King Roland… King Roland listens to her and not to Flagg. She’s in the way.
- Is Roland a good king? A good father? He’s neither bad nor good at either, he’s not very smart and is easily manipulated so he definitely wasn’t a great king, but he did care about his people and was fair so he wasn’t a bad king. He would have been a much better father if Sasha hadn’t died.
- While in prison, Peter finds a note that was written by a former prisoner. The note implicates Flagg in a murder that took place 450 years ago. What was the person who wrote the note accused of? Flagg’s been in and out of Delain many times trying to ruin it…Valera was imprisoned for killing his wife Eleanor during the reign of Alan II…450 years before Peter was imprisoned for killing his father…neither man committed the crimes they were accused of…both men were framed by Flagg, and the note accuses Flagg of being the murderer.
- What are some of the other names Flagg has used? Bill Hinch, and he had been the King’s Lord High Executioner. a singer named Bronson,
- The tower where Peter is imprisoned seems symbolic of the Tower. What do you think about the various symbols within the books we’ve read so far? The Needle is reminiscent of the Tower, the last vestige of hope. I like the symbols. Each time I read the book I find a new that I missed before.
- What did you think about this book? I enjoyed the book. It’s a bit of a mix between a Fairy Tale and a Fantasy. It had all the essential King elements, but was quite different than his other books.